Thursday 22 January 2009

Blog proper. Catching up.

Friday 15th, Arrive into the school, feeling as sick as a dog after two days of travelling with less than 1 hour's sleep in total.
I got sat down in the room beside the kitchen, huge platters of food everywhere. I resolved to grin and bear it, eat what I could and fall into bed. The cook came out of the kitchen with a bottle of stong spirit, and jokingly (though I didn't detect the joke) offered me some. I agreed, thinking it would be a good idea to wake myself up a bit and seem like a good guest. I was met with astonished faces all 'round (there were kitchen staff and sifus's families in the room too).
The translater took me aside and explained that people of my age don't usually drink in China. I (slightly confusedly) said that I read there was no legal drinking age in China, to which she replied that this was true, but it is not customary for them to drink. She asked if people my age drank in Ireland (the country's reputation obviously not preceding itself), and after a short conversation, I was again seated, this time with a brimming glass of volatile red spirit.
Everywhere I looked, there were more and more nausiating images, from the plate of fatty something-or-others, to the mounds of Chicken feet, complete with skin etc., to my barely touched flagon of ethanol, finally settling on all the expectant faces, eager for my appraisal of their cuisine.
After a series of excrutiatingly awkward events, I was slumped in my bed, not caring to take off clothes or turn off the light.
The next morning (Sat 16th) fared much better. I walked around outside for a bit, meeting some students on the way. Robin, one of the students (who had also left a bottle of water outside my door for me) offered to give me a tour of the 'campus', which I accepted gratefully. There I met the rest of the students. The rest of the day was spent strolling around, emailing home, and taking a walk to the local village, Yu lin dian, with Robin and Hillary ( refer to email for names etc.)
Sunday 17th contained no spectacular occurrences, although Tui Na (massage) class was rather odd. It had me massaging the then complete strangers, and them returning the favour.
(more soon)

1 comment: